Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Carmelitas



I posted this recipe awhile ago, but after Kallie made it, we realized the recipe was all wrong.  Here is the new and final version.  You can buy the caramel topping at the store.  You could and you'd think they are tasty.  If you try making your own caramel topping, you'll find it takes this treat to a whole new level.  I had to get them out of the house as soon as possible.  I could really eat the whole pan. 

2 c. flour
2 c. oats
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the above  ingredients to make a crumbly mixture.  Take a little more than half of this mixture and press it into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with PAM.  Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Take it out of the oven then top with:
2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. caramel topping mixed with 1 T. flour*
nuts (always optional, but very good)
Sprinkle the rest of your crumbly mixture over the top.
Bake that for 10 minutes at 350.  You need to let them sit for quite awhile so they are set up when you eat them. You can always throw them into the fridge if you are pressed for time.  The caramel really needs time to set up after you take them out of the oven. Enjoy!!

*Here's where it gets good.  Instead of buying the caramel try making this caramel sauce.  When it is finished, I added 3 T of flour to it and I used the entire recipe of caramel sauce in the carmelitas.  You probably don't need that much caramel, but I do.  
Homemade Caramel
Source:  The Sisters Cafe

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. water
1/4 tsp. salt
Boil the above ingredients for about 3-5 minutes depending on how thick you want it. Remove from the heat and add 3/4 cup evaporated milk and 1 Tablespoon vanilla.  Stir well and let it sit to thicken. 






0 comments: