Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Skillet Ziti

We all need these kinds of recipes in our arsenal of quick family dinners.  This one is one of our favorites, and it is so easy and quick.  Love it!
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 of a large onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 pound of sausage, ground beef, etc.  I use turkey sausage and I think it really makes this dish.
2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1/2-2 cups of UNCOOKED ziti pasta
1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1 14.5 ounce can of chicken stock or make your own with bouillon
2 cups of shredded mozarella cheese
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
fresh basil for garnish (I don't usually have this so I just skip this part)


In a large skillet saute onion and garlic in oil.  Add sausage.  When the sausage is cooked all the way through add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, ziti, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and chicken stock.  Bring it to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes until the pasta is cooked and the sauce has thickened a little. Remove the lid and add the cheeses and fresh basil if you are using it.  Put the lid back on until the cheese has melted then serve.  I make my favorite Food Nanny baguettes to go with this from my blog.  This dinner including the bread can be thrown together and served in about an hour.  This is my kind of dinner.

0 comments: